Breast Implant Removal in Newport Beach, Orange County CA
Women that have had breast implants for a certain amount of time may choose to have their implants removed. There could be several reasons for this. A patient might have had a current implant rupture or deflate and choose to not have the implants exchanged, due to change in lifestyle, change in perception of image, change in financial ability or perhaps they felt that implants did not fit their personality or they were prone to capsular contracture. For whichever reason, a patient may always have her breast implants removed.
Who is Breast Implant Removal Recommended for?
A breast implant removal is anyone seeking to remove their current implants, whether it be due personal preference or medical necessity.
Breast Implant Removal Photo Gallery
Addressing Your Concerns
- How can I prepare for Breast Implant Removal surgery?
A patient can prepare for a breast implant removal procedure by beginning a vitamin protocol (provided by Dr. Bandy) to aid their body’s healing. We recommend accomplishing all house chores prior to surgery that would require a patient to lift anything over 5 pounds or push or pull anything heavy. During your pre-operative appointment (about 2 weeks prior to your surgery) our nurses will go over all necessary steps to prepare for your surgery.
- Will anesthesia be administered for Breast Implant Removal surgery?
A breast implant removal procedure can be performed under a general or a local anesthesia. Whether a patient is a good candidate for local anesthesia will depend on a number of factors. If the patient is an anxious person, or if the patient is having the breast lift performed at the same time as another procedure, general anesthesia is recommended and sometimes required.
- Is Breast Implant Removal surgery painful?
Typically breast implant removal is well-tolerated and minimally painful. Patients are prescribed a pain medication to minimize discomfort experienced.
- What if I am sick before my Breast Implant Removal procedure?
- If a patient is noted to be sick prior to a procedure, it is advised to contact Dr. Bandy’s office immediately to discuss the best way to move forward.
- How long before I see results of Breast Implant Removal?Results of breast implant removal can be seen immediately, however, it takes 4-6 weeks or longer until the swelling decreases
- Is scarring expected after Breast Implant Removal surgery?
The incision for a breast implant removal is typically performed through the same incision the implants were initially placed through, therefore no new incision is typically created.
- Can I drive home after my Breast Implant Removal surgery?
It is always recommended to have someone assist you in getting home or to your recovery center. If a patient does not have anyone that can assist them at home, we do have a post operative recovery center that we work with that will pick up the patient from our facility.
- Should I try avoiding touching the area after Breast Implant Removal surgery?
A patient will have surgical tapes covering their incisions and these tapes will remain in place for a few weeks. It is recommended that a patient not touch the incisions until they are healed.
- What activity should I refrain from after Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
Patients typically patients are required to avoid lifting more than 5 lbs within 1 week after surgery, and avoid lifting more than 15 lbs within 4 weeks after surgery. Also, patients are advised to avoid strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks.
- Do I need to take any medication after Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
- A patient is usually prescribed an antibiotic and a pain medication. If a patient is undergoing a general anesthesia, sometimes they are prescribed an anti-nausea medication to combat any feelings of nausea that some patients experience after having a general anesthesia.
- What is the average cost for Breast Implant Removal?
The average cost for a breast implant removal typically ranges from $3,500 and up. In order to obtain an accurate price for your surgery we advise meeting with Dr. Bandy for a complimentary consultation.
- Are there financing options for Breast Implant Removal?
- The patient has multiple financing options. For example, the patient can pay for the surgery on credit card, and make monthly payments back to their credit card. Additionally, CareCredit is a financing company specific for cosmetic surgery; patients can apply for CareCredit, and there are multiple options for CareCredit. Sometimes, patients opt to make payments directly to the office. This is a prepayment plan where a patient would pay until he or she pays the entire balance for the surgery; then, they would have their surgery.
- What is the recovery time and the healing process?
Recovery time depends on the extent of the implant removal, how much capsule work needs to be done, as well as if a lift is performed. Typically, implant removal with or without a lift is much easier than the initial breast augmentation.
- Is there a post-operative recovery facility that you recommend?
We do have a post operative recovery facility that we refer our patients to in Orange County, CA and Los Angeles, CA. In these situations, they will be picked up by the post operative care facility from our recovery room and brought to the recovery center where they are recovered overnight, and then brought back the next day for their follow up appointment.
We are here to listen and address your concerns.
– Dr. Amy Bandy, Over 20 Years of Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will I still have breast tissue once the implants are removed?
A: We like to remind women that with time, aging, childbirth and weight loss or gain, the natural breast tissue can change and may look bigger or smaller and a woman might be surprised that over the course of several years they might appear to have larger breasts then they did prior to having a breast augmentation surgery. Likewise, a woman that had sufficient natural breast tissue prior to their breast augmentation might feel that with having her implants removed completely she would be satisfied with her remaining breast tissue yet might be surprised that her natural breast tissue has decreased in volume.
Q: How will I know if I will be happy with my results after implant removal?
A: During the course of a breast implant removal and lift consultation, Dr. Bandy will try to determine how much natural breast tissue a woman has so that a patient may choose whether to remove her implants completely or add a lift as well. Many women are able to have their implants removed with no other procedures needed to restore their breasts back to a prior surgical look. However, with the weight of implants and with time, skin does begin to sag and some women feel that a lift as well as a breast implant removal would be beneficial in order to restore a perkier bust. The extent of the lift would be dependent on the size of the patients breast implants as well as the quality of the patient’s skin and how much excess skin a patient might have. The best way to determine which option is best for you, is to consult with a qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, like Dr. Bandy to discuss your options and what is a realistic outcome.